Landon

Landon

Thursday, September 23, 2010

My expected outcome

First of all, I have never had a blog before, so I have already learned!

As a business teacher, I am hoping to get many things from this program. I use technology in my classes everyday, but would like to improve assignments and increase opportunities for students to learn. I have wanted to incorporate tools like Moodle or edmodo and have not had the chance to learn about the programs and their capabilities. If there is a way that I can minimize paper use in my classroom, I would like to do it.

I teach in a small school district and we continually have problems with technology and server space. I am excited to learn more about google docs and tools that can be used to eliminate space used on our server at school. I would also like to become a resource for other teachers in my district who are wishing to improve their technology skills or wishing to incorporate more technology into their classrooms and lessons.

In my opinion, things change in the business world all the time, especially technology. If I can teach students how to continue learning about new technology, they hopefully will continue that practice in their lives if they pursue a business career.

7 comments:

  1. Emily welcome! I think you'll find this course and the others a great way to continue growing as a learner and educator. What do you find to be the biggest challenge in Technology for your district?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think limited resources is our biggest problem. We try to increase our server space and bandwidth often to try to accommodate growing technology, but it always seems like it gets used very quickly. We also restrict students, as I'm sure many districts do, on what they can have access to. We don't allow them to blog or post in chat rooms and we don't allow them to view streaming video, in an attempt to reduce the usage of bandwidth.

    Our computer tech isn't always open to us wanting to use new things. His main concern is how it will affect our network and servers, where our concern is how it will help our students. It's a tough position to be in, but luckily our administration is very interested in keeping up with technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, I too teach in a small district. How small is yours? Our district only has 2 classes for each grade with about 22 kids in each class. However, I would say that we have many classrooms with new technologies in it every year. We also have a grant system. You can write to the foundation to get money for your classroom. I did this last year to get my Promethian active board and I had a new one in by Christmas. I am sure a key element here is that we did just update our server about a year or two ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cryssi,

    I teach in the high school and our enrollment is ~270. I believe our district enrollment is around 600. We have 2 classes per grade at the 4K-8 building also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Emily!

    It's great to meet a fellow business teacher... I teach elementary now, but still maintain my license in marketing education. I share many of the same goals as you and look forward to progressing and becoming a contact person for our district. I am excited to work with you and would love to hear stories from your world of teaching.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Emily
    I'm so happy to hear that you value teaching technology as a business teacher. It's so important for business students to understand technology and how the real world uses it on a daily basis.
    What integrated technology lessons do you currently teach?

    Jaclyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Emily,
    I teach in a K-8 building, so I don't know very many business teachers. So, it will be interesting to read your posts and find out more about what you do.

    I too would like to reduce paper use whenever I am able. I am hopeful what we are learning will lead to that outcome as I get more comfortable with the tools. I like the green part of that; I also like that I wouldn't have to haul so much stuff around with me! There are many days I feel like a pack mule going to and from school!

    ReplyDelete